Perth scotland dating sites speed dating north west
Dating from around 1600, the two-storey tower was connected by a causeway to the southern bank of the loch. Imposing remains of 15th century tower house with later additions.
Originally the property of the Clan Stuart, it passed by marriage to Colin Campbell, who had the name changed to Castle Campbell by an Act of Parliament in 1489.
Following the quashing of the Jacobite Rebellion at the Battle of Culloden in 1746, the castle was rebuilt and became a garrison for Hanovarian troops.
When government forces were withdrawn in 1831, the castle was returned to the Farquharson clan.
Prince Albert set about organising the design of the current castle and grounds when the Royal Family purchased the estate in 1852.
Construction of the new castle started during the summer 0f 1853, on a site just 100 yards from the original building.
Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Complete medieval castle, remodelled in a Scottish Baronial style in the 19th century.
Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply. The seat of the Chiefs of Clan Menzies for over 400 years, this 16th century fortified house was formerly known as Weem Castle.
Bonnie Prince Charlie rested at the castle on his way to the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
Just four days later it was garrisoned by the Duke of Cumberland, son of the British monarch and commander of the victorious Government forces.
Intact late 15th century coastal defensive castle, built in response to increased English naval activity in the area.
The castle now houses a museum, with restricted opening times and entrance charges.
King James IV frequently stayed at the castle on his hunting and hawking trips to the area.